Yamaha electric grand of mid 70's to mid 80's origin more

John M. Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 19:48:59 -0300

pianoman wrote:

> Hi,
>  Yamaha used to have an electronic tuning chart for them but I don't know
> if you can still get them.
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
>  St. Louis, MO.
> Competent Service since 1962
>                                         Caster Cup Center of the Universe
>                    Home of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups
> pianoman@inlink.com
>
> ----------
> > From: Marcel Carey <carey.marcel@qc.aira.com>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Yamaha electric grand of mid 70's to mid 80's origin
> > Date: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 3:47 PM
> >
> > Hi Tom
> >
> > I had quite a few experiences with CP70 and 80. I still service one of
> them.
> > The treble part sound quite nice, but the bass has such short strings
> that
> > the inharmonicity makes the bass almost untunable. Chameleon II can't
> even
> > measure A-1. Even if you take this piano apart in two pieces, you will
> need
> > another person to move it. It is quite heavy. Nad finally, no, it doesn't
> > have a soundboard. The tuning is quite stable but it only has 2 strings
> per
> > unison so when unisons go out, the piano sounds worse than a 3 strings
> per
> > unison instrument. The bass strings have quite a bit of tension and I
> have
> > had to replace quite a few. If you are a heavy player, I would
> personnally
> > stay away from it.
> >
> > Marcel Carey
> > Sherbrooke, QC

I have been tuning one of these for a school bandroom, about once every year.
I tried the Scale from the Service Manual, and I tried an FAC from a SAT.
The music teacher preferred the tuning from the SAT.
They have had no problems with it, and they transport it to different Band
competitions in the US and Canada. They like it.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.
Windsor, N.S. Canada.