in defense of the Chickering back

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 15:39:05 -0400

[Lost thread reply flood -- catching up]

James, perhaps your repair was appropriate under the circumstances. It's
certainly the fastest repair. However, this situation was commonly the
result of shipping. More specifically, the method of packing *for* shipment
that was later recognized and, I believe, corrected. The weight of the
topboard in a sideways position through ocean and surface handling would
often cause undue stress on the hinges (path of least resistance), thereby
skewing the parts alignment just enough to cause problems with the topboard
alignment pin/receptacle, and sometimes the topboard lock assembly as well.

At 07:07 PM 8/24/98 -0500, Grebe wrote, in part:
>I can remember the first Kawais having stupid problems like the locking
pin on the
> lid would not match up with the receptacle on the inside of the rim.
>We used to have to drill a larger hole in the receptacle to get it to work.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.