M&H BB harmonic

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 15:22:21 -0400

[Lost thread reply flood -- catching up]

Ric Awondering: Hmmm. Helmholtz Resonator. I think that's either a speaker,
or something requiring shots from the clinic. Perhaps you're thinking of
the term I *should* have used instead of "spyder" -- that is, the Tension
Resonator.

At 12:47 AM 8/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Wasn't a Helmholtz Resonator put in some of these pianos. I have never
>seen one, only read about it.  Don't they resemble the shape of a trumpet
>mute?   Were they to eliminate certain resonances, or inhance them?
>
>Ric Awondering
>----------
>> From: harvey <harvey@greenwood.net>
>> To: pianotech@ptg.org
>> Subject: Re: M&H BB harmonic
>> Date: Saturday, August 22, 1998 2:07 PM
>>
>> Dan, when you finish exploring the damper, string and belly areas, crawl
>> under and check the spyder.
>> -jh-
>>
>> At 06:30 AM 8/22/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> >Dear List,  I have a client with a problem Mason & Hamlin BB. The piano
>
>> >has a very strong harmonic produced by G#5. The sound continues after
>the
>> >key is released and cannot be stopped by blocking the string or any
>> >related strings.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net