Records & bearing

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 12:19:34 -0400

[Lost thread reply flood]
{Was Gray Market Yamaha's and/or Oh no, back to piano records}

[Harvey]
>>Normally I don't buy into the crown and bearing thing, because I'm jaded by
>>techs jumping on this bandwagon at the slightest provocation.

[Nossaman]
>*Whoa, hold it. Please to explain. You've got a dumb Yankee, or two (or is
>it just me?), out here who have trouble following the conversation when we
>can't see the lips move. Surely you routinely check such things as part of
>your 'voicing/sound production complaint' diagnostic procedure don't you?

Yes, no problem in this usage. That sentence could easily have been omitted
from my post, and represents leftover feelings from my days as a desk
jockey. A technician would call to report a problem. I'd ask, "What
diagnostics have you done so far?". Response: "Well, I checked the crown
and bearing."

No problem right? Except that the reason for the original call was a pedal
squeak, a let-off or checking problem, or anything that was far removed
from a sound, voicing, tuning, belly or related problem.

Let's just say I became overly sensitive to the practice.

[Harvey]
>>On a positive note, and like square grands, this piano sure is pretty! As an
>>aside to a recent thread, I wish the domestic versions had the service
record
>>holder nailed to the edge of the rim or other convenient place.

[Nossaman]
>*Careful Jim, You're talking about the last tech leaving useful information
>for the tech that replaces him - a very unpopular concept. (Sorry girls, but
>I think this is a guy thing. Women aren't that insecure, are they?)

I don't know where I stand in the poll, but I do not endorse scribing
tuning information on the plate, sides of keys, or anywhere else. I
sometimes find a business card in a piano, and unlike my earlier years,
find I actually *know* the person!  The last two examples were Martin
Tittle and Nolan Zeringue. I now have one of each of their former clients
in my area. As for when they tuned, etc., I don't particularly want that
information.

I provide records for myself on 'puter, and present an itemized invoice to
a client, which seems typical of most technicians. I have never written on
or in a piano in the methods that have been discussed here, except for
removable chalk marks on keysticks, or other temporary measures.

Within the past three years, I have discovered situations where a brief
service history at the piano proves helpful. It's rare but not unique --
one piano, multiple clients (payors). Example: I maintain a concert grand
in a university. I've been paid for servicing this piano by various
departments of the university (same money, different pockets), the
performing arts association, and private groups. Sometimes one party wants
to "borrow" from previous service work, thereby saving budget. A written
record of service dates, along with temperature and humidity readings and a
note about the activity has helped cure some of the faulty time memory that
everyone has. "Gee, it seems like this piano was just tuned last week.
Can't we get by without...?"

Since my records are client based, it takes too much time to find the
information, especially on site, to validate the need for service. I've
started to use the PTG service records with the self-stick backing. I was
assured that these will not remove bronzing, and will not become permanent
over time. So far these assurances have proved correct. I use the stickers
in certain instances in homes too, but don't remove the protective paper
covering the adhesive. I simply place the label in the treble plate webbing
area, or on top of the pinblock in a vertical. The only time there would be
a problem is if the piano is moved. Then, any "evidence" may disappear as
well.

Sorry for the late response.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net