Broken Bass string

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:35:29 -0400

[Lost thread reply flood -- catching up]

David, although you mentioned looking in the archives, I'll call your
attention to one in particular. To save bandwidth, I'll post it via private
message. The question at the time was as old as yours is now. Apparently my
reply was a different take on the subject, since Mr. Brady decided to
perform "careful editing" and publish it in the PTJournal.

I've since begun using a phrase to describe this phenomenon. Ready? It's
called... GOSPEL DAMAGE.

Proper usage of the expression requires some additional instructions:
1. After seeing broken strings, say to [pastor, musician, custodian,
liaison, other] in a monotone voice, "Hmmm. This is a classic case of...
gospel damage".
2. Wait...wait...wait, until the words soak in, and you hear the inevitable
"WHAT?" reply that follows. See, *they* know, but don't know that *you*
know, because you don't attend that church.
3. Present your case however you wish from here (analogy with race cars,
laws of physics, a quick run-down of other churches, and brand names, with
the same situation, or whatever method suits your fancy). Above all,
accept, educate, but don't "preach".
4. Do the work, and don't be arrogant or elitist about future calls for the
same problem (or for that matter, the same strings three years from now).
5. Record (by string, not note number) those strings that are replaced. It
adds credence when challenged why the "same" string broke again.
6. Enjoy your newfound speed at hanging wire, and your additional income.

I would have argued this before, but have found that these churches are
among my best clients. Those I think can least afford it... can and do.
Once both parties, church and technician, understand the situation, they
accept at face value that this is not the fault of [brandnamehere]. They
are not going to replace their pianist; they are not going to change their
style of worship, they are going to pay for pushing the instrument beyond
its design characteristics.

BTW, I also offer "options". I can short-circuit specifications, thereby
possibly lengthening the expected MTBSF (mean time between string
failures). However, once a basic understanding has been reached, so far
*everyone* prefers to have the piano remain as-is. I do take the
opportunity to leverage other agendas into the picture -- hammer shaping,
regulation, pedal repair, and other [not] routine maintenance.

At 02:02 PM 8/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Small Full Gospel Pentecostal Church
[cut ------- 'nuff said]

Jim Harvey, RPT