Sabre Saw??'s

PDtek@aol.com PDtek@aol.com
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:59:31 EDT

> At 11:22 PM 9/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>  >List:
>  >	Now that the opinions are out on the tool, how about some advice
>  >regarding the use of it?  We purchased a Bosch jigsaw to cut the slots
>  >for QRS solenoids.  But cutting a straight line through 2 inches of
>  >solid wood we found to be almost impossible.  We could follow the line
>  >on one side, easily enough.  But the flex of the blade made the opposite
>  >surface almost 1/4" off the line and crooked as a snake.  Is there some
>  >kind of secret here?  I don't think that a straightedge would help.
>  >We've gone back to using a circular saw- much more dangerous.  Any
>  >suggestions are more than welcome.
>  >	Thanks!
>  >	Paul McCloud
>  >	San Diego, CA

The first few PianoDisc installs I did I used my Bosch jigsaw to cut the bed
slot. Even as good a saw as this is, and the fact that it has a blade guide,
its just not designed for this type of job. I've done about the last 100
installs with a 15 amp Porter-Cable Circular saw. I just start at one edge at
the bottom of the slot, place the front edge of the sole plate on the bed,
line everything up and make a plunge cut and then run the saw up the line. Do
the other side of the slot the same way, and then finish off the ends with the
jig saw. Dangerous? I've never had the saw jam or kick or any other problem. I
think it helps to have a good saw with a good blade and plenty of power. I
also like to spray a little silicone on the bottom of the sole plate.
Otherwise its amazing how much drag you can get. Makes you think you have a
dull blade.

Dave Bunch