Longevity of Digital Pianos

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 21:01:35 -0600

Hi Tom,

First let me say I disagree with your statement about the sound of any
electric keyboard. Second the only *real* keyboard action is the *very*
expensive Yamaha.  Third--in order for any *grand* action to continue to
function properly it will require service on a regular basis--more use =
more service.

The worst thing about midi imho is the coarseness of the sounds. It is
limited by that magic number 128. Think about taking a recording and
digitizing it with a frequency of only 128. Even today's cd's sample at
44,000. (which imho, is not *fine* enough).

Sorry if my post seems abrupt--but keyboards while they have a place are a
*totally* different performance medium than a piano. Apples and Oranges.
Both fruit, but never interchangeable.

At 10:20 PM 9/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>	In my apartment I have an old Clavinova.  It doesn't have a lot of
>the extra sounds, disk drive or any of that stuff that is commonly found on
>newer models (it's 10 years old).  The keyboard is the same that Yamaha uses
>today on it's standard models (except it doesn't have the three levels of
>touch sensitivity control)  The sound quality isn't bad (about as good as a
>cheap upright in my opinion) but, it isn't the best available.  The beauty
>of midi is - that doesn't matter because it is upgradeable.  Currently I am
>using the sound from and Alesis QSR rackmount synth which I think its better
>than most digital pianos out today.  The problem that I have with digital
>pianos is that they don't have a good range of tone.  For instance - a sound
>will be sampled at a loud volume with a lot of force behind the hammer.
>This is great for loud passages and the sound will be amazingly realistic
>when played back.  However if you want to play something delicate like a
>nocturne the attack is still harsh but the volume is lower - something that
>is rather unnatural sounding.  This is why I am interested in an electric
>grand.  It would be portable (well about as portable as my Clavinova) and it
>would have a real action and the sound would be live so at least in theory
>the tonal range would be unlimited.  Digitals have their place.  They don't
>need to be serviced and that makes them better for a pianist than an
>acoustic piano that needs servicing and doesn't receive it for one reason or
>another.  The thought that they will replace acoustic pianos though doesn't
>seem likely to me - not grands at least (and probably not high quality
>instuments all together).  The digital piano would be nothing without the
>acoustic - it's goal is to emulate a grand and it will never do a better job
>than the real thing.  The idea that Concert pianist will tour with one is
>quite laughable.  As durable as they are they aren't "performance"
>instruments.  On the concert stage there is more than one artist.
>Just my three cents...
>Tom Martin
>
>http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/villa/4107
>martitn5@juniata.edu