Dremel Keytop Trimmer

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 23:19:35 -0700

List:
	I mentioned in a reply to Richard Moody the keytop trimming bit I put
together for my Dremel tool.  It's a no brainer, really.  It works just
like a laminate trimmer, ie., the cutters are straight and cut flush to
the edges of the keystick.  I use the router table attachment to the
Dremel and trim the keys upside down.  The cutting edges of the bit are
just above the surface of the table, exactly the same height as the
thickness of the keytop.  Unfortunately you can't get it close to the
notch, so you have to finish that by hand.
	I suppose one could do this just as well with the router attachment
instead of the router table.  Just have to clamp the keystick to the
bench.
	Tomorrow I'll check to see what the dimensions of the bit are, as well
as the bearing.  They are common sizes, so you should be able to find
the bearing at a good supply house.
	I did make a jig to lay the keystick on it's side, and used a straight
router bit to trim the notch.  Since the bit has only two cutting edges,
it did not cut very smoothly, and tended to pull at the plastic.  I had
to recover one key that got away from me.  I don't think I will try this
notching method again.

	Paul McCloud