Stieff piano "chop chop chop"

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:06:54 -0400

Andy,

If you want a Stieff upright player to restore, write me.  I have one in my
shop that has been abandoned by the owner.  The player is in pretty good
shape, the case is rough, and the action needs a total overhaul, but it
would be far less work, and far more suitable than the project you are
proposing.

Frank Weston

----------
> [...]
> Date: Thursday, September 03, 1998 3:31 AM
>
> Hi all.
> Thanks for all who posted about me converting the Stieff piano. I really
> appreciate all the comments too, positive and negative. I get my
pianotech
> in digest form, it is less confusing, and that is why I dont respond
> privately to every letter.
>
> I also found out that this brand of piano is very respected. But I do
wonder
> about market value, since I picked this piano up for a song(I even played
> the song for them on a new Kawaii grand) from a piano dealer. I also got
> nice and heavy Vose and sons with an unusual keybed from the same place
for
> $50 I almost bought a chickering upright, but Chrissy said "that's enough
> for now"<grin>
>
>  I don't doubt that either of these pianos are desirable, But uprights
are
> VERY hard to sell here for some reason. Players go out the door as soon
as I
> play the first roll it seems!
>
> I would like to explain something about myself to the group. I do not
"chop
> up" or swap parts on pianos for the fun of it. I have limited funds to
spend
> on these projects. More times than not, I end up with complete basket
case
> pianos (most of the Fosters), free for the hauling,
>  that the rebuilders either pronounce "dead" or not worth the effort to
> revive. It takes me long hard hours of labor and love before I can even
play
> one note!
>
> I get a kick out of rebuilding what is considered absolute junk, and
making
> a beautiful looking and sounding piano that works as good as the day it
was
> built.
>
> Consider for a moment, why I drag a bunch of old Foster pianos
home.(besides
> being crazy) This actually happened: One Foster has a big hole in the
> soundboard, and a cracked plate(a forklift driver error) The other Foster
> had been in the middle of a bad bar fight and the case and piano action
> looked like it had been on the front line in World war 2! I can still see
> the owners of these wrecks shaking their heads in disbelief knowing that
> some nut was willing to drive from Missouri and haul what was left away!
>
> See, I learned a long time ago the only way to become a experienced piano
> person was to get in deep in the cheaper pianos and rebuild them. I would
> not learn much by just tuning and regulating, or picking pianos that
wasn't
> much of a challenge, I had to put myself in a situation that required me
> think like the factory
>
> Neither piano was useable by itself. and would have met certain "death"
If I