Stieff piano "chop chop chop"

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:25:59

Dear list,

I think a lot of people have done themselves and their technical (and
human) development a lot of damage by refusing to do anything that might
lead someone else to call their work a "hobby." It's hard to keep a wide
viewpoint or have freedom of action when one's eyes are permanently glued
to the bottom line.

I've said some more about this in the September Journal which should (even
now) be winging its way toward many of our mailboxes. (I can e-mail it to
any non-Guild folk should they desire.) It wasn't the easiest of articles
to write.

(My very humble opinion)

Susan
At 07:09 AM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Andy&Chris Taylor wrote:
>
>(big snip)
>> I get a kick out of rebuilding what is considered absolute junk, and making
>> a beautiful looking and sounding piano that works as good as the day it was
>> built.
>(another big snip)
>
>Dear Andy:
>
>It's easy to think of such projects from a business point of view, of
>how much you make per hour by the time the job was finished.  But it
>sounds like what you have here is part (or altogether) a hobby.  Profit
>becomes much less a factor.  As we all know, some hobbies are very
>expensive and in the end provide no financial gain at all.  So why
>not?!  :-)
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651