STRING TENSION

Thu, 03 Sep 1998 11:29:54 -0700

Dick,

Yes.  Overall string tensions vary quite a lot depending on the size and type of
piano.  Two pianos of the same length, but of different brand -- designs -- may
also vary quite a lot.  In my archives I have measured scales -- for "modern"
pianos -- ranging from approximately 34,000 pounds up to approximately 64,000
pounds (15,400 to 29,000 kg.).  Most current production scales will fall into
the range of approximately 35,000 to 45,000 pounds (16,000 to 20,00 kg.).

Del