Stieff/key lead - afterthought

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 17:42:19 -0400

Andy,
I presumed that the key lead was in the front of the key.
But you alluded to that they may be back heavy since the
fronts do not fall when the wippen is lifted.

If the aformentioned keyleads are indeed in the rear of the key,
there may be a good reason for it. They may be there just to make
a heavier touch. They may be there to assist the wippen to fall.
Their removal would lighten the touch but may affect repetition.
I can't imagine an upright action being so light as to be sluggish
on account of a front heavy key, but one never knows.

This week I placed leads in the rear of the keys on a console
to aid in repetition. These keys were definately front heavy, so
the slightest bit of sluggishness in the action caused delay
even after lubing the centers. The touch was too light and now
it has a nice firm feel with good repetition.

Moving the capstans back will also reduce hammer travel since
the whole action has to move closer to the strings, there may
not be clearance for the damper levers.

Can you make your stack narrower?

How about finding a nice family for this piano and with the
extra money you could purchase an Ampico unit for a Foster?

Jon Page