PTG, to join or not to join ?

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 23:40:57 -0400

" I suspect that there may be some quiet discussion at the national
level about the "associate problem". "

The greatest pool of knowledge is in the membership of the Guild.  You
can be a member, an associate, for as long as you like.  RPT is a goal
of quality, knowledge and experience the helps lead to a successful
business.

We all have something to offer another and I am sure you will have
something to offer us as well.

As for the above quote, there is a debate in the council and at
conventions and seminars about how to classify others that are not RPTs
and have to intention of becoming one, either because of their position
in the industry (like supply house owners and employees), who don't want
to make piano technology their life's work or those who will never
develop the knowledge and skills to pass the examinations.

This all began some thirty years ago when some radical feminists
objected to the then classification of "craftsman".  They felt demeaned
by it and wanted it changed to something else.  Since they were very
vocal and irrational, they won, but this has been a very long lasting
debate that has sapped the energy, resources and direction of the Guild
for many years.

You need not be concerned with this debacle, after all, many members of
the Guild who are RPTs know little or nothing about the origins of RPT.

THen we had craftsmen, apprentices, associates and allied tradesmen.
Now we have a mess.

Join the Guild and learn from it and in return teach something to us;
all is fair in the war of ignorance and companions.

We will welcome you.

        Newton