PTG, to join or not to join ?

DChadPiano@aol.com DChadPiano@aol.com
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 01:27:22 EDT

Bob,
What could be better than a hobby, something that you really enjoy doing
better than anything else after your regular work-a-day is over, that is
turned profession. The PTG is a good organization with many benefits,
educational mainly, that are worth having a relationship with, as with your
two tech friends.

I am an associate member since 1988, perhaps a bit too long, however I have
never regretted joining as I have learned something at EVERY chapter meeting I
have ever attended and the technical seminars are an absolute must for ongoing
education as well as meeting more nice folk like the two tech friends who are
your business associate.

Drawbacks...Don't expect the R.P.Ts. to open-up to you and freely discuss
expert repair techniques or other technical "need to knows". There is still
some animosity among some of the R.P.Ts. who, in my opinion, are not secure
with their own status and their dissension preoccupies them. I have been met
with many cold shoulders at tech seminars because the name badge I wear
doesn't say R.P.T. and any technical query posed to exhibitors, specifically,
is cold.

 For me there is no better experience than making those bad jigs of the last
job perform a little bit better for me and really to a professional job. I've
had a few minor apprenticeships with several R.P.Ts. but there is no
substitute for learning by doing. I'll perform the same job over to correct
any discrepancies and make the repair or tuning as close to exact as possible.
Nothing like tight coils and clean unisons!

I am professional in business and attitude and I do plan on attaining full
R.P.T. status soon. My business has exploded and time has to be carefully
coordinated so I can take the trip from Las Vegas to California to Pass the
exam as there are no C.T.Es. here. By the way, I've taken the tuning test
twice and missed once by the skin of my teeth, and second, failed miserably
because of nerves. Probably because I was in a high brow situation in a highly
regarded New England technical Institute. Nevertheless, I'll take the test
again and pass because the need for good, qualified tuner,techs is now and the
P.T.G. standards should be a standard

I suggest that you sign up, pay the dues and enjoy meeting all of the people
that your bound to become friends with. Try to keep up with your chapter
meetings and attended often as possible. Forget about the associate bashing
and enjoy learning more about the things you like to do the most.

David Chadwick (Associate Member)
Las Vegas, NV