PTG, to join or not to join ?

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:41:56 -0600

>     5.  In the year or more that I have been lurking here, I have picked
up on
>some negative attitudes (stories mostly) toward associate members.  I
suspect that
>there may be some quiet discussion at the national level about the
"associate
>problem".  If there is a problem, then I certainly don't want to be a part
of it.
>(the problem that is)

Bob, I've been an Associate member for about a year and a half now and I've
not met anyone who has looked down on me for that.  On the contrary, my
chapter (Boulder, Colorado) goes out of their way to teach associates and
strongly encourages attending conventions.  Nobody there or here has ever
asked me or pressured me to move up to RPT status.

As for your other concerns:  I don't recall much "associate bashing" here on
the list.  Sometimes I still wake up in the middle of the night, in a cold
sweat, shouting about historical temperment, but that's about it.  ;-)

Finally, I think on the national level, the concern was over the use of the
PTG logo by associates.  For example:  I am still new but I have the PTG
logo on my business cards which may give the recipient confidence in my
abilities just by association with the PTG.  Not everyone knows what an RPT
is.  I can see their point here.  I am now doing work for private customers
but I can be trusted never to take on something that is beyond my current
skill level.  Can everyone?

Glenn.