PTG, to join or not to join ?

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:12:20 -0500

Hi :
I have been reading this thread with great interest.........I am almost
convinced in Joining the guild.

I have been working on pianos since I was 14 years old. (I am now 35) it has
been a major hobby every since. I don't really think the word "hobby" is all
that bad. lots of people start a vocation from a hobby. I did the same thing
myself, I also had a CB Radio servicing hobby, that I still do for a living,
it served me well, and paid off our home last year<big sigh of relief> No
more house payments, and I am in debt to no one.

But the old CB radios are fast becoming obsolete, largely being replaced
with cellular phones which are for the most part a throw away item. I feel
it is time to shift gears and choose something else and piano servicing
seems the most reasonable thing to do.

it is one thing to completely take apart a piano, player or otherwise, and
rebuild it in your spare time, and another thing to service pianos for a
living. which leads me to my next question,

Does the guild in addition to repair methods. offer information regarding
how to develop what you have learned into a business? you can't exactly
proclaim " I tune pianos" and expect the world to beat a path to your door.
another thing........no matter how nice a job you do rebuilding, if you are
a 'unknown" how do you become 'known"??
Any change in vocation can be a bit scary, and you have to eat.

Just wondering
Andy