Dremel Keytop Trimmer

John M. Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 06:03:44 -0300

Richard Moody wrote:

> ----------
> > From: David ilvedson <ilvey@jps.net>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Re: Dremel Keytop Trimmer
> > Date: Friday, September 04, 1998 3:09 PM
> >
> > I have been using a 1" belt sander, Delta, which I use to remove
> > the excess by eye.  I still have to finish up with a file and do
> > the notches but it looks great when I'm done.
> >
> > David Ilvedson, RPT
> > Pacifica, CA
> >

> > > Date:          Thu, 03 Sep 1998 14:54:45 -0700
> > > From:          Mark Story <mstory@ewu.edu>
> > > Subject:       Re: Dremel Keytop Trimmer
> > > To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> >
> > > I still notch with my laminate trimmer jig, but I quit trimming the
> excess
> > > with a ballbearing laminate trimming bit.
>
> Yes I have been considering a 1" belt sander for triming moulded keytops,
> in addition to a laminate trimmer.  Any one else with experience with the
> 1" belt sanders?
>
> Richard Moody

Hi,
Yes, I have been using a 1" and disk sander combination for years. I find it
comparatively fast, ie. no setup, and just have to notch by hand.
To prepare the keys, I use a drum sander, on my radial arm saw. I lower the
sander down to a predetermined height, onto a platform which is proven to be
parallel to the drum so the keys remain square.
It works for me.  A steam iron is used to remove the old ivory. Sometimes the
front removal is a problem, but then all I do is use the disk side and sand
them off.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada