damper removal

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 09:36:16 +0000

I use hot water/wall paper remover combo.  You can put the
action in a cradle turn it over so dampers are facing down and
then come up under dampers with a rectangular container of hot
water/wallpaper remover and let the dampers soak up as much as
they want.  Leave the tenor dampers intact but tear off the bass
dampers soaking whats left.  Patient is a virtue with damper
removal....

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> From:          A440A@aol.com
> Date:          Sat, 5 Sep 1998 11:15:54 EDT
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re:  damper removal

>  Dick writes:
> >
> >I pull as much of the old dampers off as will come off & what ever
> >doesn't come off I soak with vinegar. This works ok but is quite messy &
> >tends to get on other parts of the action. I'm looking for a less messy
> >method of removal.
>
>    If you will leave half the felt thickness on the damper head, and touch it
> with a small brush full of hot water (from the glue pot jacket),,  it will
> absorb enough so that you should be able to just lift the felt off the head in
> about 1/2 hour.
>     With just the right amount of water, you end up with a pile of damp felt
> scraps and very clean surfaces, presized, for the new felt.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA