Ivers & Pond

Clair Dunn cadunn@vt2000.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 05:46:58 -0400

Hi--
I'm a newbie--1st PTG conv. was this year. I have acquired an Ivers & Pond
upright, SN #5883. My guess is it was made in 1888. It's 59 inches high. The
label under the treble keys has been ingested by mice, except that I did
piece together the handwritten word "special". Besides the normal upper
right raised oval on which is printed the name and serial number, with
calligraphic flourishes, to the left in the plate behind the bass strings is
cast into the plate very large letters IVERS & POND with a large 9 under
them. The plate extends *through* the bottom board. I'm pretty sure the
whole case is solid cherry. The music desk has three scrollwork panels, the
kick board, two. The silks were still intact and not rotten.

I would love to know anything anyone knows about this piano, esp. what the
large 9 means.

Thanks much.

Clair Dunn
Clair's Piano Service