tape on keys

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:52:45

At 12:01 PM 9/5/98 -0500, you wrote:
>List:
>	How does one remove masking tape residue from plastic keys?  Yes,
>Jim B. the tape has been pulled off.....................   It's the
>sticky stuff remaining that I don't know how to remove. Windex doesn't
>work, but that's all I tried, preferring not to ruin perfectly nice
>keytops.
>
>	Thanks
>
>Leslie Bartlett
>lesbart@juno.com
>Outside of a dog, a good book is man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too
>dark to read"

Hi, Les

I use citrus solvent ("Citrasolv" is one brand). It dissolves the crud,
even when it's old and turned to stone, and it shreds off in fragments,
leaving a clean, unmarred surface behind. Turn the rag frequently, and wipe
off the oily residue with a clean damp rag.

It's perfectly safe on ivory, and so far it has worked on platic keys as
well. However, there is one kind of plastic that it will dissolve, so it
might be prudent to try a little on the end of a tail in the deep bass or
treble. But I think it's fine with keytop material.

It's also nontoxic, unlike most other solvents, and smells pleasantly like
oranges. I use it undiluted, straight from the bottle. Don't tip the bottle
over, or the place will smell like orange peel for days!

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370