Size and Sound

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 16:18:25 EDT

<< First, How do you judge the appropriate size piano for a given room. My
 room is long (29 feet) and relatively narrow (12-14) with fairly high
 ceilings. I am torn between the 7 foot piano of my dreams(which I fear may
 be too much piano for the room), the 6'1 that practicality urges and the
 6'4 compromise.

 Also, the brands I am considering are Yamaha (C-3) and Boston in carious
 sizes from 5"10- 7'2 (which I'm told plays "bigger" than its size because
 it is wider than a conventional grand.).

 It's become more of a technical issue than a price or preference one, so I
 am hoping some of you can shed some light on how I should make my decision.

The size and brand of the piano should be detirmined by your needs, wants,
desires, budget, etc, not by the size of the room. Obviously, you can't put a
9' piano in a  room 10 x 10, but the room you describe, almost any size will
fit.

What you need to consider is how much sound are you willing to accept from
these pianos. At full volume, I don't think there is going to be that much
difference between a 6' or 7' piano. I have seen a 9' Steinway in a room
smaller than what you have, and it wasn't overpowering. So. if you want and
are willing to accept a big sound, then get a 7' piano.

Just my opinion.

Willem Blees