Petrof

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 13:49:36 -0700

Thanks for your comments Dale.  I basically agree with you on every point.  I just wanted to point out that the hammers on my Petrof III (and those on the Petrof I, II, and model 130 upright as well) are Renner hammers.  The action in my Petrof is basically identical to the action in the 6' 1" Schimmel.  Same hammers, same wippens, etc. The keys are different between the Schimmel and the Petrof however.  The hammers in the smaller Petrof IV, and V are Tofa (Sp?) hammers.

My technician used a LIBERAL amount of alcohol and water mixture on the hammers to accomplish the voicing.  These hammers really are tough!  My technician gave up on the needle and resorted to alcohol and water (Absolute Vodka seems to work the best, 'cause it's Swedish ya know :))  Anyway, it took a couple of rounds of alcohol and water to mellow the sucker down, but it worked.

I totally agree with your comments about a lack of finesse.  I just don't think the person doing the regulation at the factory knew what he or she was trying accomplish.  The letoff was way too close to the strings and several notes started double-striking within a week of playing it.

So what's a "guide rail bushing"?

Jory