Ivers & Pond some

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 20:19:54 EDT

pianoman@inlink.com writes:

<< I have 1 client with a very tall and old and fine Ivers and Pond.  It has
 a device on the soft pedal so that there is no lost motion when you use the
 soft pedal.  It is very ingenious >>

This is the Wessel, Nickel & Gross lost motion compensator.  Most of the WN&G
upright actions I have seen over the last 45 years had this feature, used also
in Stieff and many other fine pianos, even a Mason & Hamlin upright that I
tuned years ago.  Strauch developed a similar compensator, but apparently it
did not catch on.

Funny thing about the Ivers & Pond Piano Co., though.  They apparently wanted
the credit for the action and applied a celluloid piece with "Ivers & Pond
Piano Co." written on it, over the stamped "Wessel, Nickel & Gross" name on
the let-off rail.  The octagonal logo, however, is still visible on the left
end of the main action rail.  Every Ivers & Pond upright I have ever seen (I
have 12 on my computer list, in addition to all those I serviced before 1985)
is this way.

Bill Maxim