Size and Sound

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 01:39:26 -0600

Hi Ed,
      Some food for thought for you, size and enviroment is an issue, I
have a number of clients that have over bought for space, as a result they
always play with the instrument closed.  This robs them of many of the
subtle nuances of tone, plus it mutes some af the attack caracteristics.
  Musically you will be less intimate with your instrument if the lid is
down, so keep this in mind.
  The sales hype about the broad tail of the Boston is nothing but smoke
and mirrors. Let me ask you a question. Would the Kawai Corp make a
superior piano than what they market under there own brand name? I am think
not. The reason that Steinway contracts Kawai to build these instruments,
is that it gives a medium quality and price point for their dealers to try
and compete with the leading Japanese manufacturers.  Why are there no
broad tails on a real Steinway?????    Dealers with this product, pass it
off as being something that is the next best thing to a Steinway, I will
stick both my neck and reputation on the line and say absolute garbage.
  Now to be fair play, and listen to both and chose the piano you feel most
at home with.  As a dealer I have often delivered 2 Grands and left them
for a couple of days so the client could make their mind up with no sales
pressure.
It's a life time purchase for you, and it should be a long term
relationship for the dealer.
  Don't fall for a dealer telling you that they are going to make all kinds
of adjustments in the home, the instrument should be at it's best in the
show room, or at least close to it.
  Regards Roger

At 08:31 AM 05/09/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>As a lurker on the list I have enjoyed learning more about the technical
>side of the piano. I have two questions and I hope some members might
>respond either on the list or privately.
>
>First, How do you judge the appropriate size piano for a given room. My
>room is long (29 feet) and relatively narrow (12-14) with fairly high
>ceilings. I am torn between the 7 foot piano of my dreams(which I fear may
>be too much piano for the room), the 6'1 that practicality urges and the
>6'4 compromise.
>
>Also, the brands I am considering are Yamaha (C-3) and Boston in carious
>sizes from 5"10- 7'2 (which I'm told plays "bigger" than its size because
>it is wider than a conventional grand.).
>
>It's become more of a technical issue than a price or preference one, so I
>am hoping some of you can shed some light on how I should make my decision.

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.