S&S retrofit rails ?

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 11:41:53 -0400

Ron,
To start with, spacing. A tapered flange would help by
slipping the normal hammer 'spacing tool' in there and
positioning. A flat rail where sand paper would grip better
and keep the hammer positioned better. Narrower flanges
which are not crowding others so spacing_can_ be done.

In other words, a better system.

Even with placing emery cloth on the rail it is sometimes
difficult to force the hammers to align.

What makes that flange with the molded surface better
than a flat surfaced flange which everyone the world over
uses. And as you asked, why does S&S think this is superior.
Or is it just tradition. Tradition didn't stop teflon bushings,
knuckles without a buckskin covers or accelerated action bearings.

So what's the big deal with this anyway. Is it really more cost effective
to produce them? I doubt it.

This being Labor Day weekend, I'm just pondering ways to save labor,
mainly mine. I do not particularly enjoy spending the extra time needed
to make these proprietary products function like the more simply made
'standard' the rest of the planet enjoys.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)