damper removal

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 23:59:53 -0400

Using a travel iron is a good idea.  After ripping off what I could I
soak the remainder with a little soap with a bunch of water.  Let it
soak for a minute or two then using the iron and a wet rag I steam the
remainder off with little trouble.  Quick and easy.

Replacing the dampers is easy as well.

FIrst check the dampers for quality, sizing, width, etc.  Best quality
for best results.  I like to use slightly longer dampers in the bass, if
I can get them.

The flats can be glued on with the action on the bench.  Trichord and
bass dampers should be glued on with the action in the piano.  Careful
determine the proper height of the dampers in the bass.  You do not want
the dampers being hit by the hammers on their way to the strings, but
having them as high as possible helps some with muting.

Place a damper of the strings at the right height and check for muting
by playing the note.  You can try moving it down or up a little until
you get the best muting possible.  That is the height for the rest of
the dampers, but I would also check on in the top of the bass.

By sliding the damper, with a little bit of glue, down the strings with
the damper block pulled back, until the damper is at the right height
and the flat of the damper is parallel with the damper block you can let
the block move forward until the glue is engaged.  After a second or two
pull the block back a little, making sure the felt follows, to check
that it is indeed aligned well with the strings.

Trichord in the bottom of the middle section needs more careful
alignment.  Often you may need to space the strings a little back and
forth to get good muting.

Lots of luck.

        Newton