Petrof even more

Jory A. Olson jory@teleport.com
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 13:10:35 -0700

Please somebody gently let me know if I'm out of bounds here.  I'm not a technician, so I feel like I really don't belong here.  I'm just trying to learn about pianos so I can be more knowledgeable when I ask for help from my technician.

As an engineer (yes, I'm one of THOSE too) I don't expect my piano to behave like my car.

First of all my car is made out of man-made materials that are well controlled.  My piano is made out of natural materials with all of the variation that goes with natural materials.  This is why I think plastic actions parts are a great idea.  They don't absorb moisture, so they don't change size, twist or warp over time.  They all pretty much weigh exactly the same, making regulation much easier.

Secondly, my car has fewer moving parts.

Thirdly, car's are built in very large volumes that allow even small problems to surface during production and get solved before the car is shipped.  All of the world's piano production during a given year doesn't even amount to a few weeks of the world's car production.  Even Yamaha doesn't make pianos in the volumes needed to flush out all of the problems.

So if your car had 1200 moving parts including felt parts that packed down over time, wooden parts that changed size over time, and was one of only 4000 cars to be built in a year, my guess is you would have the same problems.

Jory