tape on keys

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 15:26:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Doug,

I don't have any problem at all with practical responses to super simple
technical and/or customer relations questions. I've learned tons of terrific
tips and tricks just by listening in. It's just that the topic hardly merits
three days and forty posts saying essentially the same thing, does it?
Besides, I was pointing out to Jim Harvey, and anyone else who cared to read
it, what I've come to believe is the reason for the huge volume of postings
on a subject of this nature, and the relatively low volume of discussion on
more complex technical points. The price in embarrassment is lower for being
"wrong", and the list membership's experience with something like this is
far greater than if you were talking about - say, casting plates. You will
note that I clutter up the list with replies (often "wrong") to questions of
this level just about as often as anyone else. My observation wasn't
intended to be either flattering, or abusive - just accurate.

>Ron,
>
>Yes you are in trouble.
>
>I am under the impression that one purpose of a listserve is to exchange
>PRACTICAL ideas as well as technical.  Although new to the list, I am not
>new to the profession, and the fact is most of us deal daily with such
>practical challenges.  While discussion on inharmonicity, sring tension,
>temperament and acoustic theory are enlightening and helpful, so is learning
>how to convince a client NOT to allow their hampster loose in the house (to
>do a magnitude of damage to an action only a rodent could do), how to remove
>dampers easily (instead of yanking them off with a pair of needlenose
>pliers, which was the first technique I was taught), and certainly how to
>remove sticky stuff (tape being only ONE of the varieties of sticky I have
>encountered... some a little less mentionable) are more than fair game for
>serious and INTELLIGENT conversation...
>
>Anyone else feel the way I do?
>
>Doug

 Ron