Petrof even more

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:15:45 EDT

Jory,

You are not out of bounds here at all.  This is a forum for discussions such
as the one you bring up.  It is packed with emotion and even bias that we all
carry for brands that we love.

Yes Yamaha does weed out almost all their problems.  In more than a dozen
years I cannot think of one Yamaha that came in with a glaring error.  Out of
12,000+ parts and thousand upon thousands of pianos built yearly they just
keep improving.  I found ,while in Japan at the Yamaha factories, that they
hold tolerances up to .01 of a mm.  Name any company making pianos today that
can say that.  You can expect excellence and at those prices... I would demand
it.

Ed Tomlinson
Vancouver Wa

<< Please somebody gently let me know if I'm out of bounds here.  I'm not a
technician, so I feel like I really don't belong here.  I'm just trying to
learn about pianos so I can be more knowledgeable when I ask for help from my
technician.

 As an engineer (yes, I'm one of THOSE too) I don't expect my piano to behave
like my car.

 First of all my car is made out of man-made materials that are well
controlled.  My piano is made out of natural materials with all of the
variation that goes with natural materials.  This is why I think plastic
actions parts are a great idea.  They don't absorb moisture, so they don't
change size, twist or warp over time.  They all pretty much weigh exactly the
same, making regulation much easier.

 Secondly, my car has fewer moving parts.

 Thirdly, car's are built in very large volumes that allow even small problems
to surface during production and get solved before the car is shipped.  All of
the world's piano production during a given year doesn't even amount to a few
weeks of the world's car production.  Even Yamaha doesn't make pianos in the
volumes needed to flush out all of the problems.

 So if your car had 1200 moving parts including felt parts that packed down
over time, wooden parts that changed size over time, and was one of only 4000
cars to be built in a year, my guess is you would have the same problems.

 Jory >>