Petrof even more reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:16:11 -0500

`Hi Jory,
As far as I am concerned, you are not out of line but gives our discussions
light from a different source.
Keep on truckin
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
 St. Louis, MO.
Competent Service since 1962
 Do what is right and do no harm
 Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano  Peripherals

pianoman@inlink.com

----------
> From: Jory A. Olson <jory@teleport.com>
> To: 'pianotech@ptg.org'
> Subject: Re:  Petrof even more
> Date: Sunday, September 06, 1998 3:10 PM
>
> Please somebody gently let me know if I'm out of bounds here.  I'm not a
technician, so I feel like I really don't belong here.  I'm just trying to
learn about pianos so I can be more knowledgeable when I ask for help from
my technician.

> As an engineer (yes, I'm one of THOSE too) I don't expect my piano to
behave like my car.

> First of all my car is made out of man-made materials that are well
controlled.  My piano is made out of natural materials with all of the
variation that goes with natural materials.  This is why I think plastic
actions parts are a great idea.  They don't absorb moisture, so they don't
change size, twist or warp over time.  They all pretty much weigh exactly
the same, making regulation much easier.

> Secondly, my car has fewer moving parts.
>
> Thirdly, car's are built in very large volumes that allow even small
problems to surface during production and get solved before the car is
shipped.  All of the world's piano production during a given year doesn't
even amount to a few weeks of the world's car production.  Even Yamaha
doesn't make pianos in the volumes needed to flush out all of the problems.

> So if your car had 1200 moving parts including felt parts that packed
down over time, wooden parts that changed size over time, and was one of
only 4000 cars to be built in a year, my guess is you would have the same
problems.

> Jory
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:	Sun, 6 Sep 1998 10:33:11 -0500
> From:	"pianoman" <pianoman@inlink.com>
> Subject:	Re: Re: Petrof reply more
>
> Hi Jim B,
> Aren't we all fence strattlers.
> I agree partially with Jim Harvey but in fact I by the powertools out of
a box and assemble them myself knowing that this prep must be done by me.
I do not buy large power tools assembled and ready to go . nor does any one
else, I think.  This part is understood.  If I buy a new vehicle, I expect
it to be right when I drive it away from the dealer.  I think Jory paid
more for his Petrof than my Mazda truck.  I didn't have to take my Mazda
truck back till 30,000 miles for adjustment.