Size and Sound

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 19:56:16 -0600

>Dear Roger, List,
>
>Some comments to your recent post:
>
>>...Musically you will be less intimate with your instrument if the lid is
>>down, so keep this in mind....
>
>I have first hand experience with at least one customer (published
>composer, former University level choir conductor and Dean of Fine Arts of
>a midwestern University, along with other musical credits), who
>intentionally plays with their Steinway Grand lid close, and it does not
>restrict in any fashion this person's ability to be intimate with their
>instrument.

 So do I, in fact I have asked why he usually played with the lid closed
and the music desk sitting on top of the lid. The answer, lots of room for
paper, the gentelman in question is a Chech concert pianist as well as
composer, with works premiered by the Chech nation ochestra. His comment to
me, "when I play to really listen, the piano is open and the music desk is
off, that way
I can get more intimate with the sound."

  Kieth I was mor than a little suprised with your post, so to get down to
facts I took a spectrum analyser and measured a few notes to reinforce my
point, the stereo mic was set ot head height in front of the piano.

  A3    Partial  Sustain   Volume open      Sustain   Volume closed
           1       5.94       10.89            5.76       5.69
           2       5.94       12.51            5.94       5.45
           3.      5.94        4.9             5.94       2.86
           4.      5.94        6.7             5.94       3.26
           5.      5.94        4.83            5.20       2.18
           6.      5.94        6.8             3.34       1.24

  A4       1.      4.46        8.17            4.32       3.41
           2.      4.46        9.11            4.32       3.32
           3.      4.46        4.42            2.73       1.24
           4.      3.62        2.31            1.67        .96
           5.      4.04        2.73             .70        .60
           6.      2.51         .76             .56        .33
           7.      1.25         .37             .14        .17

  A5       1.      2.23        8.10            2.14       2.11
           2.      2.12        2.4              .84        .25
           3.      1.95        2.1              .74        .16
           4.       .84         .93
           5.       .56         .92

  The reason for this quick sample, done with a static drop weight, after
static friction had been broken from three previos test blows, is to point
out that the lid really suppresses higher order harmonics. It also slows
down the sound due to the fact you are hearing more from the bottom of the
board than the top. Yes I have put the mics on the floor and measured that
as well.
  This is measured facts, not emotional pontification . May be the Steinway
is in need of voicing, or is too loud for the space, which is the point
that I was making in the first place. After correctly regulating and
voicing several profs studio grands. most have the preference to play with
them open. Prior to taking the job at the University several profs not only
had the pianos closed but had blankets on them. Screaming pianos 8 hrs a
day, in an 9 X 18ft studio, no wonder.

>>  The sales hype about the broad tail of the Boston is nothing but smoke
>>and mirrors. Let me ask you a question. Would the Kawai Corp make a
>>superior piano than what they market under there own brand name? I am think
>>not. The reason that Steinway contracts Kawai to build these instruments,
>>is that it gives a medium quality and price point for their dealers to try
>>and compete with the leading Japanese manufacturers.  Why are there no
>>broad tails on a real Steinway?????    Dealers with this product, pass it
>>off as being something that is the next best thing to a Steinway, I will
>>stick both my neck and reputation on the line and say absolute garbage...

  I don't think I'm saying any thing bad here, just asking some logical
questions.  Kind of funny that logic is hard to refute.

>It's unfortunate that you are a dealer who represents other quality piano
>product lines and feels the need to say what you have.  Maybe you had an
>off day or something.

  I have very little to do with the retail end of my business, semi retired
to my hobby, "piano technology". So I think I should feel free to express
myself as a peer to this group. Further I think your comment is unfair and
uncalled for.

Just searching for the truth.
Roger

>Keith McGavern