Silica gel

Garret E. Traylor traylorg@EqualTemperament.com
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 11:20:08 +0900

List;
Ken Jankuras story caused me to ask the list.
Is silica gel of any use outside of a sealed or environment?

The only benefit I am aware of is for shipping or storage purposes, such as
when a piano is new and 3 or 4 bags are placed inside - the instrument must
be totally sealed with a plastic bag or wrapping.

While I was working in Washington D.C., almost all of the Asian owned pianos
that I serviced, had bags of silica inside. Here in Okinawa I regularly see
silica used, not dampchaser.

Your comments?

Garret Traylor
:-------------------------------------------------------------------:
 Register your piano service at EqualTemperament.com!
 Garret E. Traylor - Equal Temperament Services
 PSC 482 Box 14 - FPO, AP 96362-0014
 (Kadena Air Force Base - Okinawa Japan)
 Associate Member at Large
 Washington D.C. Chapter - Piano Technicians Guild
 Web: http://www.EqualTemperament.com
 E-mail: traylorg@EqualTemperament.com