Silica gel

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 22:54:30 -0500 (CDT)

>List;
>Ken Jankuras story caused me to ask the list.
>Is silica gel of any use outside of a sealed or environment?
>
>The only benefit I am aware of is for shipping or storage purposes, such as
>when a piano is new and 3 or 4 bags are placed inside - the instrument must
>be totally sealed with a plastic bag or wrapping.
>
>While I was working in Washington D.C., almost all of the Asian owned pianos
>that I serviced, had bags of silica inside. Here in Okinawa I regularly see
>silica used, not dampchaser.
>
>Your comments?
>
>Garret Traylor

Nope, it is of no use whatsoever outside of a very small volume sealed
environment. I don't have real specs on the stuff, but silica gel will only
absorb so much water until it reaches saturation, very much like sponges,
Kleenexes, paper towels, and T-shirts. In a sealed environment of limited
volume, a low level of humidity equilibrium will be reached and will remain
stable for as long as the container isn't opened. With *any* influx of
outside air, silica gel will quickly (within hours, or days, depending on
the humidity level) reach saturation and become utterly superfluous to any
humidity control issue. It can be recharged, or re desiccated, by cooking it
in the oven or microwave at a relatively low temperature, and a longer time
than you would expect, only to again reach saturation in use before the sun
goes down. It is not a black hole for excess humidity. This stuff is like
anything else. It works very well within an extremely limited range of
parameters, but is expected to have magic properties far beyond it's means.
Regarding silica gel as a substitute for a Dampp-Chaser system, it should be
roughly as effective as a sign that says 'BOO" and scares humidity away...
give or take.

 Ron