Petrof even more

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 00:01:07 -0400

Hello Jory.

>Please somebody gently let me know if I'm out of bounds here.  I'm not a
technician, so I feel like I really don't belong here.  I'm just trying to
learn about pianos so I can be more knowledgeable when I ask for help from
my technician.

You are definitly not out of bounds. Remember how this list works and that
it is certanly not made for people who knows it all.

>As an engineer (yes, I'm one of THOSE too) I don't expect my piano to
behave like my car.

>First of all my car is made out of man-made materials that are well
controlled.  My piano is made out of natural materials with all of the
variation that goes with natural materials.  This is why I think plastic
actions parts are a great idea.  They don't absorb moisture, so they don't
change size, twist or warp over time.  They all pretty much weigh exactly
the same, making regulation much easier.

In my opinion, what realy counts is how is it made not so much as the
materials, Good plastic engineering could be a good Idea, specially for
economical reasons. Iīll give you an example.

I have been working for a long time in pianos. I still remember certain
american made pianos, back in the sixties, specially spinets, with plastic
elbows. When thy started selling, the factories stated that the plastic they
used has been proved to be better than wood, twenty years later, in all
these pianos I found that the plastic elbows had degraded, and became
brittle and would break just by looking at them. I am still replacing those
elbows in many of these pianos. If you asked me some years ago I was
definitley against plastics in pianos.
Now I changed my mind a little because I found that since about 20 years ago
some Yamaha and Kawai parts strted being made of plastic, and I had no bad
experience with them. I still want to follow them for some more years, but
it seems plastic engineering has improved. Still I keep saying that all
depends on excellence in production. I have also seen very well treated
woods, where warp, twist and size change are barely noticeable.

>Secondly, my car has fewer moving parts.

I have been following this post sice the begining but I was unable to write
before due to lack of time,

I have had a lot of experience with Petroff pianos, I even attend a school
which has 19 pianos and they are all Petroff.

I donīt like them very much personally. Playing it I prefer Yamaha action
(the feeling) or Hamburg Steinway than Petrof,
In maintenance, if the owner treats it nicely it will last, but it is not
made to take punishment. The pianos in the school that I tell you suffers
almost constantly of loose center pins, (twice a year ) and key bushing wear
( They use them 8 hours daily, for piano lessons )

I also attend a school that has 12 pianos, 6 Yamahas 3 Baldwins  3
Steinways, used for the same purpose, more or less same amount of time
daily. Centre pins last an average of two years, Bushings more or less the
same.

On the other side, Petrof, or the once I attend here have a very nice
European sound, and a complete preparation, when they arrive realy improves
them a lot.

James wrote:
>If I buy a new vehicle, I expect it to be right when I drive it away from
the dealer.  I think Jory paid more for his >Petrof than my Mazda truck.  I
didn't have to take my Mazda truck back till 30,000 miles for adjustment.
>James Grebe

I donīt agree completely with James, maybe because I also do things like
that, That is a question of taste, but I just did something similar, I own a
1979 Chrysler Le Baron,  V8 318CID engine for years I have been reluctant to
change this vehicle, and I just had it rebuilt, all original and I hope for
20 more years ( I changed Engine, Automatic Transmission, suspension,
Steering, Complete bodywork including paint, air conditioning. and it is
again as new. )

regards

Elian Degen