Low FAC, Henry F.

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 09:17:20 -0400

Dear List,

My apologies.  I should have sent "..age" separately.  I thought of
doing so but decided to 'list' it because I wished for no one to
experience the embarrassment I did when I thoughtlessly use the phrase
in conversation with a black person who was from the south.  He
proceeded to 'educate' me in no uncertain terms.  I, fortunately, did
not loose a friend but it was close.

I grew up in southern New Mexico where many phrases were used that were
and are racist, anti-Semitic and chauvinistic.  Moving from a town of
3500 to New York City I learned quickly what was and what was not
acceptable, but the "...age" reference was by far the most
'educational'.

My apologies to the list but I am unrepentant in considering the remark
racist.  I will endeavor to be more sensitive in the future.

        Newton J. Hunt
        nhunt@jagat.com