Dissing S&S rails (:)}}?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 14:09:43 EDT

After a long thread, mostly down on the dowels,
Ron writes:
> In any case, maybe
>someone on the list will educate us as to the sterling qualities of the
>brass bound dowel flange rail system. I've sure fought a lot of them without
>noting any particularly life enhancing properties compared to more
>conventional rails.

     There are a number of things I like about the Steinway rails.
     The ability to travel and space at the same time, with only a thin strip
of  tape. Beyond that, once properly shimmed, which, admittedly takes more
time, the spacing and traveling is permanent. (twisting to space, with a tool
is ususally a short term adjustment.  The only permanance I have found is with
brown paper tape. )

      Rails have a combination of weight and rigidity which contributes, IMHO,
to the tactile responsiveness that a good action exhibits.  If there are
impedance factors involved, ( and I think there are) in how the keyboard
transmits the string vibration to the players hands, it would seem that there
is an optimum amount of mass in the construction of the action. This means
that rails, (both action and key!) can be too light or too heavy.  you takes
your choices, you get your action.
     Huge rails of softer material may or may not produce the "feel" that
elegant 19th Century maple-stuffed tubular technology offers.  Is it possible
for action rails to be too rigid?  This I cannot answer, but I bet others here
have an idea or three.......
Regards,
Ed Foote