snobbery WAS:Re: pianos ... unregulated.

conrad hoffsommer hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:54:03 -0500 (CDT)

Sy,

At 23:10 9/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Jon Page:
><snip>
>What I would like to say, I will not say, but I still have the urge to
>to say what I would like to say.

I'll say it. (shift into Alfred E Newman "What, Me Worry?" mode)

Some of us in the "flyover" states like Iowa or Montana have a hard time
relating to the crusts ...er... I mean coasts where thick populations of
people and pianos allow some species of technicians to develop special
feeding habits.

Said subspecies of technicians would starve in big sky or big corn country.
Out here some people say that the only color for a tractor is green, but as
I drive by the fields I'll be damned if I can tell which color tractor
worked which field.  ...and I _know_ in some cases.

If a person is happy with their piano and their technician, that's what
matters.  That's what keeps my checkbook happy.

I was reminded of that fact Sunday as I was headed into our concert hall and
one of my friends (I don't have customers, only friends) was behind me.  She
said "hello" to me by talking loudly to her companion.  "There goes the
college technician who takes such good care of my home piano."

Of course, head immediately started to swell.  and what, do you ask, does
she have at home for and to which my ministrations would elicit such
effulsive praise?  Lester Betsy Ross spinet with _new_ plastic elbows, of
course.

BTW, we were headed to a piano recital I'd prepared. (mid 70's S&S D, purged
of teflon - with S&S parts)

>On occasion it is best to say tomorrow what you would like to say today.
>Hopefully tomorrow I will have forgotten to say what I wanted to say today.

Now it's that tomorrow. Tell us anyway, Sy.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

       Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Digitally Activated Offgrid Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."