S&S retrofit rails ?

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 08:44:02 -0700

Richard Moody wrote:

> Don't the brass rails warp less over time, and bend less during
> crashintos, ie cresendos? esp the let off rail ?
>
> The Ramblin Ric

----------------------------

Dear Ramblin Ric,

It's true.  I don't know that I've ever found an S&S action rail that was
warped.  I've found more than a few that were split from end to end, that had
multiple stripped screws that are difficult and/or time consuming to repair,
that were loose in the brackets where the solder joints had failed, that were
installed so that proper action geometry was impossible to obtain, etc.  Their
design makes it difficult to align, and especially travel, action parts.  And,
once aligned, the various action parts -- particularly hammershanks -- often
don't stay aligned.  But, you're absolutely right, they really don't warp.

But then I haven't found many warped rails in other actions either.  At least
none that were a functional problem.  Remember that all action rails -- at least
those in "modern" pianos -- are held firmly in place by at least four, and
usually five, cast metal action brackets.  The only exceptions that come readily
to mind are those rails made by certain, shall we say, "high-volume," piano
manufacturers whose idea of drying and conditioning wood seems to consist of
instructing their truck drivers to at least slow down a bit at the stop lights
between the lumber mill and the action factory.

As for bending, the S&S hammershank rail is one of the worst offenders.  The
hammer shank rail is subjected to the highest amounts of torsional stress of all
of the various action rails.  A small, (approximately) round, thin wall metal
tube poked full of holes and filled with a wood dowel is not particularly good
at resisting these stresses.  The S&S hammershank rail design is a source of
action power losses.

You are quite right about the S&S jack let-off rail. It is, arguably, the most
rigid of all of the independent let-off rail designs.  But, again, this is a
solution searching for a problem.  Jack let-off rails of all but the most
ridiculously flimsy and crude design are simply not a problem -- at least not in
terms of stability.  Besides, since most modern actions have been designed by
people who have apparently never regulated one in their lives, jack let-off
rails have now all been replaced by the dowel-capstan designs.  Excellent
designs in theory and on paper.  Cumbersome and awkward in practice.

As may be, I'm back to my old favorite; the Renner laminated beech (Delignit?)
action rails.  Very massive and rigid, stable, reliable, etc.  No one has ever
shown me an action rail of any design or material that better fills the various
requirements of the part.  This is still my action rail of choice.

Regards,

Del