perplexing problem

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:54:02 -0400

Hello Greg,

There is no reason, other than esthetics, to plug the holes.  If you
have a 5/8" plug cutter and get some appropriate wood you will have to
enlarge the hole slightly and glue in the plug with the grain following
the grain of the old wood.  New wood or improperly season wood can have
a different rate of expansion and shrinkage which needs to be taken into
account.

Check the touch weight after the regulation is complete.  Take upweight
and downweight and average the two.  You should have a number around 36
to 40 grams.  Insert a weight if the Balance Weight is higher than 40
and remove another weight if it is lover than 36 grams.

Look at the articles by David Stanwood, but understand that I have
reweighed several actions and I have it down to a system it still takes
me eight hours to reweigh an action.

Starting to insert weights near the balance point of the key is the
accelerated action modification.  Any physics major will tell you that
this favorably changes the 'moment of inertia' which makes repetition a
little faster.  When I reweigh an action I remove the first weight near
the front of the key and reinsert a portion of the original weight to
get the balance weight where I want it, but I also take into account the
friction of each note as well.

If the customer is not complaining, the action feels good and is within
some semblance of tolerances then leave well enough alone.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com