String breakage

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 15:04:03 +0100

I recently tuned a 1964 vintage Starck console (short, but with direct
blow action). No noticable  rust/corrosion on the strings. General
condition of the piano was very good for 34 years old. Pitch raised from
around 25 cents flat, overpulled around 15-20 cents sharp. In the
process, two strings broke, both in the treble, both at the coil. I then
noticed that there were already two other strings missing. (The owner is
paying me to replace all four).

In general, the coils were very sloppy, most were quite crooked, a
couple of coils had about 1/16" spacing between each coil. So, my
question is this: is it possible (likely?) that the sloppy coils
contributed to the increased propensity for the strings to break. I was
letting tension down slightly before pulling the string up, and was
notching up in small increments when the strings broke.

Thanks for any and all input.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA