billing procedures

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:30:23 EDT

<< I have never been totally sure of the proper procedure for marking up the
 parts I use
 in the repair of a clients piano. Is there an industry standard for how
 much we mark an
 item up? Does one mark up just the item and not the postage and insurance
 or include
 it all as a business expense and mark up the total? I sometimes feel guilty
 about making
 a profit on parts and feel that profit on labour is morally correct. Maybe
 I'm a lousy
 businessman but this aspect I was never taught.
 Sincerely
 John Pengelly >>

John:

You are a business man. You are in business to make money. One way you make
money is by selling your time. The other way to make money is by selling
products. In our profession, the products consist mainly of parts we use in
the piano, hammers, strings, keytops etc. It takes time to order these parts,
then unpack them, then put them in the car to take to the customer, or if we
do shop work, to take them from the shelve to the work bench. We have to pay
for shelve space while storing these products, we pay insurance on them, etc.
etc. I realize all of the things I just mentioned are small, almost
insignificant amounts of time or extra costs, but when you add them all up
over a year, there is a substantial amount of money and time involved.

When you are in business, remember one very important thing. PROFIT IS NOT A
DIRTY WORD. You are entitled to it. In fact, if you don't make it, you can't
be in business. And it is not unlawful, legally and morrally, to make AS MUCH
PROFIT AS YOU CAN. (it's only illegal not to pay taxes on it).

There is no standard rule, but in my business classes I recommend you double
the price you pay for an item. This covers all of the overhead I mentioned,
and adds a little extra in your pocket.

Have a profitable day

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis