String breakage - Reply to Keith McGavern

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 07:24:36 -0700 (PDT)

>...Could you elaborate on this a bit? For example,
>could this be indicative, possibly, of the bearing bar being too tight?
>
>Jerry Hunt
>Dallas, TX USA
>Associate member PTG

I'm not a real expert on explaining things like this.  It's more of a gut
feeling that I have arrived at.  As to the bearing bar being too tight, I
certain in some situations this could be a contributing factor.

My comment was directed at the possibility of there being enough friction
at all the bearing points and where the string makes contact with any
felts, creating a cumulative effect, as to prevent the string from actually
rendering (moving). So when you turn the tuning pin, it breaks at the coil.

I have used Protek to help these type situations.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731