Size and Sound back

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:19:29 -0500

You wrote;;;
	"The stopper in organ pipes perform the function of doubling the pitch."

You mean halving the pitch since you said a stopped 8' sounds at an open
16'.

Since the bass is already low enough in a piano, I think I should like to
hear the "open" sound.  But since the upright is longer than it is tall,
opening the lid seems it would be like opening all of one side of the
pipe.... scuse me while I go cut a hole in the side of my upright.

	Also I would like to know about the construction and tonality of organ
pipes.  Is there a book about this that would answer such questions as,
how is diameter related to length, does the fundamental sound diff in a
16' pipe rather than a stopped 8', and explanations of tone production of
flue and reed pipes and effects of shape other than diameter etc...

Ric Macutter

----------
> From: pianoman <pianoman@inlink.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Size and Sound back
> Date: Tuesday, September 08, 1998 6:35 AM
>
> Hi Richard the ,
> 	The stopper in organ pipes perform the function of doubling the pitch.
An
> 8' pipe speaks at the pitch of a 16'.  It also changes the harmonic
> characteristics of the tone.  Adding pipes coming out of the top of the
> upright would do nothing like this.
> James Grebe
> R.P.T. of the P.T.G.
>  St. Louis, MO.
> Competent Service since 1962
>  Do what is right and do no harm
>  Creator of  Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano
Peripherals