Damper Lift Rod

Paul Plumb plumb@execulink.com
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:09:07 -0400

Dear List,

	I have a customer with a problem with a damper lift rod on a LeSage piano
made in Quebec in the 50's.  Mediocre quality console.  The right pedal
attaches to the damper lift rod at the treble end.  The bass end has a bass
sustain which uses the middle pedal.  The two are connected between the
bass and tenor.  When the right pedal is depressed the treble end lifts
well (3/8 from strings) and then lifts less and less as it progresses
through and ends with no lift in the low tenor .  The bass is also lifted
slightly (1/32 from strings, if that).  This produces sustain in the bass
and treble, and none in the tenor.
	The lady says that the pedal was getting harder to use for about two years
before the pedal prop?, bolt?, can't think of the word - anyway it broke.
I repaired that but found the problem above.  Is it possible that the
damper lift rod is flexing?  It appears to be made out of brass.  Is there
a repair cure or do I need to replace the rod?

Paul Plumb, B.Mus., PTG Associate Member
Plumb Pianos