perplexing problem

Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:20:39 -0700

tech@steinway.com wrote:

> Del and List,

> . . . .
>
> Weigh-off is one of the last things done to a grand piano before it leaves
> our factory.  The only operations done after are final polishing and final
> inspection - two to three weeks, at the most.  Final regulation and 90% of
> voicing are done immediately prior to the weigh-off specifically so that
> they do not alter the touch-weight.  There is simply no opportunity and no
> reason for leads to be removed before the piano leaves the factory.
>
> On the rare occasions that the Concert department has removed lead from a
> new piano, because of parts changes or hammer size reduction, they have
> always plugged the holes.
>
> If anyone on this list comes across a Steinway, just out of the box, that
> has empty holes in the keys, please let us know.  We would be happy to help
> with plugs or replacement leads, and we would be very curious to know what
> happened to the original leads.
>
> Stephen Dove
> Steinway & Sons
> New York

Stephen,

You're right.  I cannot speak for the factory practices of today.  However...

As I've noted on this list in the past, most of my experience with new Steinway
pianos was from the mid seventies through the mid eighties.  During this time it
was a common experience to find empty holes in the keys of some pianos.  As it
was to find up to eight and nine leads in the keys of other pianos.

If this is no longer the situation, that's wonderful.

Del