In defense of TAR (Was S&S retrofit rails ?)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 20:24:01 -0500 (CDT)

OK Jim, my apologies. I'll retract and re-issue, with the preceding sentence
that puts it in perspective.

My contention was, and is, that a flat rail action can be built that
eliminates all the problems inherent in, and unique to, the TAR design, and
give equal, or superior, performance as a result. So why champion the TAR so
many years beyond the point when it was new and innovative, and better than
the action Steinway was then using? Yea, I know it's STILL better than the
action Steinway was using before, but still has, in my opinion, too many
service shortcomings that should have been eliminated through the last
hundred years by moving on to a better design.

Better?

Now, who said what was not as good as anything else? I don't remember
reading that anywhere in this thread.

Ron

><<. So why champion the TAR so many years
>beyond the point when it was innovative, and better that everything else?>>
>
>Ron;
>  This isn't factual...there have been "flat" action rails/flange combinations
>far longer than there have been TARs, and no one has said that it was "better
>than anything else", there have only been people saying that it was not as
>good as anything else..........or I have misconstrued the thread.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

 Ron