In defense of TAR (Was S&S retrofit rails ?)

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:16:26 -0500 (CDT)

><<There, I've just come up with two ways to secure the rail.>>

>Well yeah you did that......... buuuut only at the point of the pin. this
>doesn't address the expansion and contraction of the wooden rails.  The
>Delignit rails probably would cure this but then Delignit is no longer really
>wood, is it? :-)

* Are we going to get spiritual about laminated action rails now too?

>  Further as the bolts holding the rail loosen their hold due to this
>expansion and contraction the very flexibilty you are railing against begins
>to get worse and worse as further E/C loosening happens.

* They don't get more flexible, just looser.

>  Action stack frames w/rails 'could be' cast of kevlar thus removing 'all
>possibilities' of unwanted movement............perhaps we could get Kelly
>Johnson and the "Skunk Works" to work on this for us at "area 51" :-)

* Since I've wanted to shoot the TAR system far more often than I have any
decent flat rail system, wouldn't the TAR be a better candidate for Kevlar?
Then you really could have bullet proof regulation, but it would still be
springy. And why/how would the use of Kevlar remove 'all possibilities' of
unwanted movement? The stuff isn't rigid.

>BTW I had someone say they were getting two copies of my posts, list and
>personal.  Is anyone else having this happen with my posts??
>Jim Bryant (FL)

* When you respond to me, I get one to pianotech, and one to my personal
address.

 Ron