Regulating rail treatment

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 09:15:09 -0500 (CDT)

Bill,

   I've also had good luck with the soldering gun. Actually, a combination
of what Dick and Ed both say. Apply the gun to the screw, let it heat up a
bit (this expands the metal, thereby expanding the hole a little), then
gently try moving it back and forth a little until it feels loose enough
to turn without (probably) breaking.
   Personally, if most of the screws are this way, I'd remove the rail and
put it on your work bench to do this. If a screw *does* break off, you're
probably going to have to anyway. :-)

Avery

>Bill, I heat them with a solder gun or a heat gun, trying not to scorch
>the wood.
>
>Dick--Louisiana

>On Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:06:10 EDT BSimon1234@aol.com writes:
>>In a post the other day, I mentioned that I treated frozen regulating
>>screws on let off regulating rails with WD-40, my only piano use for
>>this product.
>>
>>It now occurs to me to ask - "Is there a better treatment or technique
>>for freeing up these frozen screws?" ( I hope someone else has
>>experienced this problem! )
>>
>>I would love to hear any suggestions other than "Send the old rail to
>>Renner for duplication, should cost your customer less than $500.00,
>>your labor included!"
>>
>>Thank you,
>>
>>Bill Simon
>>Phoenix