brass hammer rails repair or replace?

Andy&Chris Taylor tempola@swbell.net
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:45:10 -0500

Hi
I just acquired a nice old Baldwin Ellington upright, A very pretty tiger
Oak piano, great tone. it was Free and now I know why.

This piano will most likely become a orchestration (I make all the
components myself but the spoolframe) so it will most likely get some hard
use.

The piano action has a brass hammer butt flange, YUCK! and some hammers are
falling out and getting loose. its terrible! This is the first Baldwin
upright I have ever seen with this type of hammer mounting all the rest I
have seen have flanges!

I have a few choices to make and I am in need of advice.

repair the brass rail?
replace the brass rail?
buy some new butts and "convert" the action to a 'flange type"(it is
possible I think) it does need new butts and hammers anyway.
forget this piano and choose another?

Thanks in advance
Andy Taylor
PPD....(player piano dude)