brass hammer rails repair or replace?

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:38:49 EDT

<<
 The piano action has a brass hammer butt flange, YUCK! and some hammers are
 falling out and getting loose. its terrible! This is the first Baldwin
 upright I have ever seen with this type of hammer mounting all the rest I
 have seen have flanges!

 I have a few choices to make and I am in need of advice.

 repair the brass rail?
 replace the brass rail?
 buy some new butts and "convert" the action to a 'flange type"(it is
 possible I think) it does need new butts and hammers anyway.
 forget this piano and choose another?

I have rebuilt one brass action rail converting it to wooden flanges with good
success. It is not that difficult but it takes patience and time.  Email me
privately and I can give you a few ideas.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR